Vintageport.se

Est. 2011

How to understand our points valuations

The points we give depend on many things such as mood, the company tasting with, if tasted on a wine tasting or at a dinner with good friends and excellent food, and many other things. If we have tasted the wine more than once we give a range with the lowest and highest point and if we have tasted the wine three times or more also an average. However, if we have tasted it 5 times the lowest and highest values are not included (i.e.20%), which means that only 3 values are included, and if we have tasted the wine 10 times or more 20 % of the lowest and highest values are excluded, leaving 80% of the values. We also report the number of defect bottles for each vintage but the points when the bottle is defect is excluded.

We always taste our wines blind but when drinking within the family one of us of course know which wine we taste.

With friends and in wine clubs we do not know if it is port or anything else we taste.

In the Danish Port Wine Club we know which house we shall taste but not in which glass (i.e. semi-blind tasting).

At the Wine Society 18% we know that the wine we taste has at least 18% alcohol but we do not know what kind of wine we drink so it is always blind tastings except when we have a Great Tasting (these are semi-blind).

At the Port Wine Festival in Copenhagen we know what the houses are serving in the glass so it is not blind. On the other hand we do not give any points at all when we taste Port which are 4 years or younger after the vintage which is often the case at the Festival.

We use the 20 points judgement but give half points and even + (i.e. 0.25 points) and – (i.e. 0.10 points less). This means that we have 37 values between 14 and 20 points (the normal range we use for decent Vintage Port) to compare with for example Suckling who has only 31 points between 70-100 points (the normal range he use for Vintage Ports). This means that you have to multiply our points with 5 to get the 100 points scale.

Our points are always set based on how the bottle is the day it is tasted, not giving any points for the future. This means that 15 points on a bottle which is immature/young is worth much more because it will probably develop more and give more points in future than 15 points on a mature wine that has already reached its peak.

Since Vintage Port needs time to develop and it often takes some years before stabilized on bottle, they are not really drinking very well when younger than five years. Because of this, we decided to not set any points for the wines when they are so young. Instead we give a rank to indicate the quality, we use the following: Good – Very Good – Impressive – Very Impressive.

However, drink vintage port and just love it. Points are not so important even if it is fun. Sten remember when he was quite new in the Port Wine Club and a Danish Wine merchant invited the Club to a totally blind tasting. First they tasted Dow 1963, Croft 1963, Quinta do Noval Nacionale 1962, Graham 1948. Sten gave Graham 1948 20 points. After that they had Cockburn 1927. He said it should have maybe more than 20 points but let it be 20 points. Then came Quinta do Noval Nacionale 1963. Well this was heaven - and it got 22 point on a 20 points judgement. That’s life - and a wonderful life it is!

Translation of our points to 100 points scale

We are using 20 points in our tastings. Our translation is not inflation in points nowadays used.
>74 Below Average >13
75-79 Average 13-14
80-84 Good 14-15
85-87 Very Good 15-16
88-90 Very fine indeed 16-17
91-93 Excellent 17-18
94-96 Outstanding 18-19
97-100 Classic 19-20

Last tasted:

22nd March
Quinta do Vesuvio 2005
20th March
Liceiras
Quinta da Romaneira 2000
Taylor 1977
14th March
Graham- Malvedos 1987
7th March
Burmester 1998
Romariz 1997
29th February
Andresen 2017
Barros 2016
Blackett 2013
Blackett 2017
Bulas Special Edition 2017
Burmester 2011
Burmester 2017
Butler-Nephew 2017
Dalva
C. da Silva 2016
Dow 1980
DR 2001
Gould Campbell 1980
Quinta dos Malvedos
Graham 2006
Quinta dos Malvedos
Graham 2015
Kopke 2004
Kopke 2017
Madalena
Smith- Woodhouse 1999
Maynard 2016
Messias 2011
Messias 2017
Noble & Murat 2017
Palmer 2015
Pocas Jr 2013
Quarles Harris 1977
Quevedo 2017
Quinta do Arnozelo
Burmester 2012
Quinta do Cachao
Messias 1983
Quinta da Cavadinha
Warre 2004
Quinta do Javali 2016
Quinta das Lamelas 2017
Quinta do Pego 2017
Quinta da Romaneira 2003
Quinta da Romaneira 2005
Quinta da Romaneira 2007
Quinta da Romaneira 2015
Quinta da Romaneira 2017
Quinta de la Rosa 2017
Casa de Santa Barbara
Pocas 2015
Quinta de Santa Eufemia 2017
Quinta do Sexio
Sandeman 2013
Quinta do Vale Meao 2017
Quinta de Vargellas
Taylor 2004
Quinta do Vesuvio 2006
Sandeman 1975
Sandeman 1982
Sandeman 2000
San Leonardo 2017
Smith Woodhouse 2016
Taylor 2017
Vasques de Carvalho 2016
Vieira de Sousa 2017
Warre 2017

more...

Copyright © 2011 Vintageport.se All rights reserved.